Baked rice is one of my must-order dishes whenever I go to Swensen’s, and I have always been looking for a recipe that I will like, so that if I do not have time to go to Swensen’s, I can still enjoy baked rice at home. Recently, I saw a recipe being shared on Facebook and decided to try it. I found the recipe a little too onion-ish, and decided to modify the recipe. After a couple of tries, I am happy to say that I have come up with a baked rice recipe that I like. It is different from the baked rice from Swensen’s, but it is still delicious. A few friends have asked me for the recipe, so here it is!
(The portion in this recipe should be enough to serve three to four adults.)
1 packet of fresh button mushrooms
1 small white onion
1 piece of fresh salmon
1 cup of rice (to be cooked)
1 packet of grated Mozzarella cheese
1 bottle of fresh cooking cream
100g of mini honey baked ham (get thicker slices if you prefer chunks)
2 egg yolks (not in picture because I forgot to take a picture)
Grated Parmesan cheese
This is how some of the ingredients should be prepared.
The ham is cut into small squares.
The small white onion is chopped as finely as possible.
The carrot is grated.
The salmon is sliced and cut into small pieces.
The fresh button mushrooms are cut into shreds.
- Cook rice.
2. Sauté onions with olive oil in a pot.
3. Add mushrooms.
4. Once onion and mushrooms are cooked, leave to cool completely.
5. Preheat oven at 180 deg C. Add egg yolks, cream, ham, carrot, and mozzarella cheese into cooled pot of onion and mushrooms.
6. Mix well.
7. Scoop some rice into the casserole and spread evenly into a thin layer.
8. Scoop some cream mixture onto rice and spread evenly.
9. Line a layer of salmon on top of cream mixture.
10. Scoop remaining rice onto salmon layer and spread evenly.
11. Add another layer of cream mixture on top of rice layer.
12. Line remaining salmon on top of cream mixture.
13. Pour and spread remaining cream mixture on top of salmon layer. Spread evenly.
14. Cover top layer of cream mixture with grated Parmesan cheese.
15. Put casserole into oven and bake at 180 deg C for 30 minutes or until top layer is golden brown.
16. Serve hot.
And there you have it, my recipe for baked rice! There are a number of things to do for preparation but the cooking itself is simple. The list of ingredients can definitely be modified to suit individual taste.
I made this version of baked rice for Mother’s Day dinner and it was a hit! So happy that the family liked it. Hope you will like it too!