One of the types of bread my kids love eating is the Chocolate Marble Bread.
I thought about the amount of money we spend on buying this bread, and decided that it was time to fire up my bread machine again. It helped that one of my bread machine recipe books has a recipe for chocolate marble bread.
The first time I made the bread, I made it into a loaf.
Although the chocolate marble bread requires more work than the usual bread machine loaf, I enjoyed the process and found it therapeutic to roll and fold the dough.
The second time I made the chocolate marble bread, I decided to try making bite-sized squares.
Turns out, the bite-sized bread was a success! The kids loved it so much that they kept going back to the box in which I stored the bread to get more.
Some friends saw my pictures and said they would like to try making the bread too. So I have translated the recipe from my Chinese recipe book, added the steps I took to make the bite-sized squares and is sharing it here. Enjoy!
(Please note that I use a bread machine to knead the main dough. It can also be made with a mixer, but be sure to knead the dough well.)
Bite-sized Chocolate Marble Bread
Bread flour 15g
Corn flour 15g
Semi sweet cocoa powder 30g
Fine sugar 70g
Unsalted butter 20g
Unsalted butter 20g
Fine sugar 15g
Bread flour 250g
Chocolate filling Method:
1. Sift bread flour, corn flour and cocoa powder together.
2. Add milk and sugar. Mix well.
3. Put on stove and heat with low flame. Stir constantly until mixture thickens.
4. Add butter and continue to stir until mixture forms a dough.
5. Let cool.
6. Put chocolate dough on a piece of cling wrap and wrap dough with the cling wrap.
7. Using a rolling pin, roll dough into an approximate 20cm by 15cm.
8. Put the wrapped chocolate dough into the fridge until you want to use it.
Main dough method:
1. Place all ingredients into mixer and mix until it forms a dough.
2. Dust hands with some bread flour and remove the dough from the mixer.
1. Dust some bread flour onto the pastry board and rolling pin.
2. Place the main dough, dust some bread flour on it, and roll it into a 40cm by 20cm rectangle (rough estimate).
3. Take the chocolate filling from the fridge, remove the cling wrap and place the chocolate filling on top on the main dough.
4. Fold the sides of the main dough in so that the chocolate filling is totally wrapped inside.
5. Roll the dough into a 40cm by 20 cm rectangle (rough estimate).
6. Fold the dough into thirds.
7. Roll the dough into a 30cm by 20cm rectangle (rough estimate).
8. Use a knife and cut the dough into strips that are 3cm wide.
9. Cut the strips into squares.
10. Place the squares of dough on a baking tray, leaving space between each square.
11. Spray water, cover the tray with cling wrap and leave in a cool place to proof for 1 hour.
12. Preheat oven at 220degC for 5 minutes.
15. Enjoy the chocolate marble bread bites!
And there you have it! Bite-sized chocolate marble bread! Enjoy!