The haze situation isn’t something we can control and the only thing we can do is to protect ourselves.
While wearing a N95 when you go out, and keeping all windows closed when you are indoors helps to a certain level, some of us are already feeling the effects of the haze as our throats are getting itchy and scratchy. Hopefully, some throat soothing drinks will help.
Some simple drinks we can make include:
If you have some time and would like to brew something for the entire family, here’s a recipe from my mum:
Home-brewed Water Chestnut and Sugar Cane Drink
15 Water Chestnut
2 sticks of Sugar cane
2 Luo han guo
3-4 pieces of Pandan leaves
Rock sugar (for taste)
5 litres of water
1. Wash all ingredients thoroughly and remove all dirt.
2. Pound the water chestnuts and sugar cane, such that they are broken but not smashed.
3. Break the Luo han guo.
4. Put everything in a big pot (except the rock sugar) on a stove and bring to boil.
5. Lower the heat to medium and simmer for 1 hour and 30minutes.
6. Add rock sugar for taste.
7. Let cool and enjoy.
This recipe is for a very big amount, so after the drink cools, you can bottle it and chill it in the fridge.
If you don’t have the time to make any drinks but your throat condition is irritating you, go to the nearest Hock Hua or any chinese medical hall that sells Liang Tehand get a good bottle of throat soothing drink.
If you can’t stand the taste of such drinks, I guess the best way is to drink loads of plain water.